Directors (Board of Directors)
- Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO)
- Dar es Salaam
- Minimum Education:
- Degree from a respected college or university majoring in the fields of engineering, natural sciences, economics, finance, law, or management/administration. Possession of a masters or doctoral degree will be an added advantage.
- Date Posted:
- Mar 8, 2016
The Ministry of Energy and Minerals (MEM) of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania as mandated under the Public Corporations Act and, in that on behalf of the Shareholder of Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO), would like to recruit able and competent Tanzanians to constitute and serve in the Board of Directors of TANESCO.
It is desired that upon their appointment as such as required under the Law, members of the Board of Directors of TANESCO will lead and govern this strategic Company to highest levels of performance in terms of: its profitability, investments in all segments of infrastructures of the company, provision of reliable and quality electricity to the Nation, provision and maintenanceof highest quality of services to customers and prudently managing resources of the Company. In short, it is expected that under the governance of this Board of Directors, TANESCO shall go forward in recording desirable positive contributions to the wellbeing of the Nation in all respects; thus, satisfying the needs and desires of its shareholder (i.e. the Government), customers, development partners, investors and other stakeholders.
In these regards, MEM shall closely monitor the performance of the Board of Directors as required under the Law, and in terms of certain Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).The KPIs shall reflect the expectations outlined in the major policy documents of the Government, the laws governing the sector, TANESCO’s contractual obligations and those of its customers and other stakeholders.
Qualifications/Qualities of individuals to be appointed as members of the Board of Directors
MEM thereforedesires that the Board of Directors of TANESCO shall be composed of individuals who have demonstrated significant achievements in their respective professional careers, in business management and their service in either public or private sector, or both. They must possess requisite knowledge, intelligence and experience to enable them make significant positive contributions in the Board of Directors’ decision making process.
In light of Government policies and priorities on one hand, and the Company's Mission and Vision on the other hand, the individuals are expected to possess qualifications and qualities and experience that will add value in the energy sector and the electricity sub-sector in particular.
Specifically, the following qualitiesare considered desirable to any candidate aspiring to become member of the Board of Directors of TANESCO:
1. Education: it is desirable that a candidate should hold a degree from a respected college or university majoring in the fields of engineering, natural sciences, economics, finance, law, or management/administration. Possession of a masters or doctoral degree will be an added advantage,
2. Experience: a candidate must have extensive experience (not less than 15 years) in his/her professional career and must demonstrate positive track record of performance in management in either public or private service, or both. An ideal candidate should have sufficient experience to fully appreciate and understand the responsibilities of a director in a challenging public corporation like TANESCO,
3. International Experience: experience of working in either senior management or as director in international organisations/corporations will be considered as an advantage to a candidate’s profile,
4. Individual Character and Integrity: a candidate must be a person of highest moral and ethical character, impeccable record and integrity. In this regard, a candidate must exhibit independence and demonstrate personal commitment to serve in the Company’s and public interests,
5. Personal Qualities: a candidate must have personal qualities that will enable him to make substantial active contribution in the Board’s decision-making process. These qualities include intelligence, selfassuredness, independence, highest ethical standing, practical knowledge to corporate governance standards, willingness to ask difficult questions, inter-personal skills, proficiency in communication skills and commitment to serve,
6. Knowledge of the Sector: a candidate must have sufficient knowledge of TANESCO’s work and situation and issues affecting the energy sector and the electricity sub-sector in Tanzania. In these regards, a candidate must have particular knowledge of TANESCO’s or rather, the energy sector’s stakeholders’ desires, needs and challenges, like those of the Government, development partners, investors, regulators, customers, etc.
7. Courage: a candidate must be able and willing to make right decisions at all times, even if the same would make the person look difficult or unpopular,
8. Availability: a candidate must be willing to commit, as well as have, sufficient time available to discharge his or her duties as member of the Board of Directors. Therefore, a desirable candidate should not have other corporate board memberships.
9. Compatibility: a candidate should be able to develop good working relationship with other members of the Board of Directors and members of senior management of the Company, and
10. Conflict of Interest: a candidate must not be in a position of conflict of interest with Company’s activities.
Invitation to apply: MEM invites candidates who possess the mentioned qualifications and qualities to apply to be considered for appointment as directors and serve in the Board of Directors of TANESCO. Interested candidates must write and submit their applications by Friday, 29 th March, 2016 demonstrating their respective qualifications and qualities, attaching Photostat copies of their testimonials and detailed CVs to;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Energy and Minerals,
5 Samora Machel Avenue,
P.O. BOX 2000,
11474 DAR ES SALAAM.