Natural Gas Daily: November 23rd, 2020
China imported 5.02mn metric tons of LNG in October, up 25.4% on October 2019, the customs department’s data showed. Imports were down on month from 5.73mn mt in September.
China’s natural gas production reached 16.3bn m3 in October, up 11.9% yr/yr, data published on November 16 by the National Bureau of Statistics showed.
Russia has supplied record volumes of gas to China via the Power of Siberia pipeline, Gazprom said on November 20 in a statement.
- Power of Siberia has been pumping gas from the Chayandinskoye gas field since December 2019.
- Citing the example of Santos' Narrabri project, it said there was a "high level of public scrutiny, particularly around environmental and planning laws."
US LNG developer Venture Global said it had awarded the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for Phase 1 of its Plaquemines LNG project in Louisiana to engineering and construction firm KBR.
- Plaquemines LNG has received all regulatory approvals and has binding offtake agreements with Poland’s PGNiG and French utility EDF for a total of 3.5mn mt/yr from Phase 1.
US major Chevron said it had safely resumed production at its Gorgon LNG facility on Barrow Island off Western Australia’s northwest coast.
The unit has been idle since July 2020 when inspections during routine maintenance revealed weld quality issues in its propane heat exchangers. That prompted Chevron to take a closer look at the heat exchangers on the other two Gorgon trains.
US power giant GE has signed a $1bn agreement with Genco3 pertaining to the development of the Long Son gas-to-power project in Vietnam, the US embassy in Hanoi said on November 22 in a statement.
- Last month, ExxonMobil and Japanese joint venture Jera teamed up to establish a gas-to-power project in Hai Phong city. In the same month, AES Corporation and state-run Petrovietnam Gas signed an agreement to develop the Son My LNG terminal in Vietnam.
- GE also announced it has won a contract to supply 500 MW of power generation equipment to Naepo Green Energy Co (NPGE)'s new district heating plant in South Korea.