• Natural Gas News

    Woodside completes Sangomar FPSO

Summary

Although primarily an oil production project, Woodside also envisions exporting commercial quantities of natural gas to the shore.

by: Shardul Sharma

Posted in:

Complimentary, Natural Gas & LNG News, Africa, Security of Supply, Corporate, Exploration & Production, News By Country, Senegal

Woodside completes Sangomar FPSO

Australia’s Woodside has completed the construction phase for the floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) facility for the first phase of the Sangomar project offshore Senegal, it said on November 29.

Woodside had awarded the contract for the supply of the FPSO to MODEC in 2020. Hull and marine works, external turret and topsides module installation and conversion work on the vessel were completed by COSCO Shipping Heavy Industry. The topsides modules were fabricated by both COSCO and by BOMESC Offshore Engineering Company in Tianjin, and the external turret mooring system was fabricated by Penglai Jutal Offshore Engineering Heavy Industries Co.

The FPSO facility is specifically designed for the processing of hydrocarbons and the storage of oil before being transported to markets around the world. The FPSO, which is expected to start operations next year, will have a production capacity of approximately 100,000 barrels/day of crude oil.

Although primarily an oil production project, Woodside also envisions exporting commercial quantities of natural gas to the shore. Woodside completed the acquisition of the entire participating interest of Sydney-listed Far in the RSSD joint venture in early July last year.

The FPSO is now being relocated to Keppel Offshore & Marine’s Tuas Shipyard in Singapore. Keppel will complete topsides integration and support pre-commissioning and commissioning activities for the facility.

The Sangomar field development phase 1 is currently around 70% complete and will be Senegal’s first offshore oil project. The development includes the FPSO, 23 wells and supporting subsea infrastructure, designed to allow the tie-in of subsequent phases.

Woodside is operator and has an 82% participating interest in the project, with Senegal’s Petrosen holding the remaining 18%.