• Natural Gas News

    Touchstone chalks up another discovery in Trinidad


All five wells drilled by Touchstone have led to discoveries.

by: Joseph Murphy

Posted in:

Complimentary, Natural Gas & LNG News, Americas, News By Country, Trinidad and Tobago

Touchstone chalks up another discovery in Trinidad

Calgary-based Touchstone has reported the discovery of "substantial hydrocarbon accumulation" at the Royston-1 exploration well it drilled at the Ortoire block onshore Trinidad, marking the latest in a series of finds at the site.

Royston-1 was drilled to a depth fo 10,700 ft, and mud logging and wireline logs indicate hydrocarbon accumulations in the Lower Cruise, Karamat and Herrera sections, Touchstone said. A total of 393 ft of hydrocarbon pay was encountered, the company said, noting that it believes the discovery is gas but will wait for test results for confirmation.


The National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (NGC) NGC’s HSSE strategy is reflective and supportive of the organisational vision to become a leader in the global energy business.


S&P 2023

Production testing is expected to take place in late October.

Royston-1 marks the fifth well in Touchstone's committed exploration campaign at Ortoire, which it operates with a 80% interest. Local partner Heritage Petroleum controls the remaining 20%.

All five of those wells have made discoveries. Touchstone made its first gas discovery at Ortoire in September 2019 after drilling the Coho-1 well, followed by a second at the Cascadura-1ST1 well in February last year and a third at the Chinook-1 well in October. In December 2020, it also had success at the Cascadura Deep-1 well.

Touchstone and Heritage are now preparing for for a second exploration stage.