Strike starts gas production at Walyering field in Western Australia
Strike Energy, an Australian energy producer, announced on September 26 that it had commenced gas production at the Walyering gas field in Western Australia. On September 25, the Walyering gas field started the export of sales gas into the Parmelia gas pipeline under its commissioning arrangements with fellow Australian energy company Santos.
The Walyering gas field is a conventional gas discovery located within the exploration permit (EP) 447, in the onshore Perth basin. Strike Energy operates EP447 with a 55% interest, while Talon Energy owns the remaining 45% interest.
Strike sanctioned the Walyering gas field for development in August last year. The final investment decision was made following the completion of the independent certification of a 54.2 PJ 2P gas reserve for the Walyering gas field. Earlier this year, the joint venture signed a gas supply agreement with Santos.
Strike CEO Stuart Nicholls said that the commencement of production at the Walyering gas field marks a significant milestone in the company's history.
"The rapid transition from explorer in the Perth Basin in 2019 to a producer is now complete," Nicholls said. "The company is poised to build upon this success through its government-endorsed Perth basin gas acceleration strategy. It has been ten years since the last operator commissioned a new greenfield domestic gas development in WA, and as such, the Strike team is incredibly proud of this achievement."
Strike earlier this year launched its gas acceleration strategy post-receipt of A$136mn ($92mn) in proceeds from the sale of its Warrego Energy shares. The company is targeting up to four sources of gas production - Walyering, Ocean Hill, and the South and West Erregulla gas fields - to come online by the end of 2025, commencing with Walyering.