Shell makes gas discovery in Mediterranean Sea offshore Egypt
Shell on November 21 announced a gas discovery in the North East El-Amriya block in the Mediterranean Sea offshore Egypt. The company has completed the drilling of the first well in its three-well exploration campaign.
"Drilling activities took place at a water depth of around 250 m below sea level in the offshore Nile Delta, with primary data confirming the presence of a gas-bearing reservoir. Further evaluation of the acquired data is required to determine the size and recoverable potential of the discovery," Shell Egypt said in a statement.
Shell has contracted Stena Drilling to carry out the drilling campaign.
In September this year, Shell signed a farm out agreement with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company under which KUFPEC acquired a 40% stake in North East El-Amriya block, with Shell holding the remaining 60% stake, of the partner's share with the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company.