• Natural Gas News

    Shearwater starts Archer 3D survey off West Australia

Summary

After the completion of Archer 3D, the Shearwater Geo Coral vessel will then be used for the Keraudren Extension 3D survey.

by: Shardul Sharma

Posted in:

Complimentary, Natural Gas & LNG News, Asia/Oceania, Security of Supply, Corporate, Exploration & Production, News By Country, Australia

Shearwater starts Archer 3D survey off West Australia

Sydney-listed Carnarvon Petroleum on April 27 said that the Shearwater Geo Coral vessel had started the acquisition of the Archer 3D offshore Western Australia.

The Archer 3D is being acquired, in conjunction with the contiguous WA-541-P joint venture, with an alternative azimuth to the current Capreolus and Keraudren 3D datasets, most particularly over the Dorado field, the company said.

This 3D dataset will complement those two already existing datasets with support for Dorado development planning to ensure optimum well placement for maximum productivity, the company added. A fast-track processed volume of the Archer 3D will be available for interpretation later in 2021.

The Archer 3D will also allow for a thorough review of the attractive exploration potential in the area to the south-west of the Dorado field. The Archer 3D is expected to take around 40-50 days to be acquired.

The Geo Coral vessel will then be used for the Keraudren Extension 3D survey. The area to be covered by the Keraudren Extension 3D survey has over 30 prospects and leads identified using the existing 2D data in the WA-436-P and WA-438-P acreage, Carnarvon said. The acquisition of the Keraudren Extension 3D will start in the south of the 2021 acquisition area, adjacent to the existing Capreolus in WA-438-P and head north.

The Dorado oil and gas field, one of the biggest finds off Australia in recent years with 283mn barrels of oil equivalent proven and contingent resources, is in permit WA-437-P offshore Western Australia. Carnarvon holds a 20% interest in the project while the rest 80% is held by Santos (operator).