QatarEnergy awards $10bn EPC contract for NFS project
QatarEnergy, a state-owned company, has awarded the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract for the North Field South (NFS) project, it said on May 16. This project involves the construction of two LNG mega trains with a combined capacity of 16mn metric tons/year. The EPC contract, valued at $10bn, has been awarded to a joint venture between Technip Energies and Consolidated Contractors Company.
The NFS project, along with the North Field East (NFE) project, will significantly increase Qatar's LNG production capacity from 77mn mt/year to 126mn mt/yr. UK-based Shell, France’s TotalEnergies, Italy’s Eni, and US firms ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil and Sinopec are partners in the $28.75bn NFE project.
QatarEnergy holds a 75% interest in the NFS project and has partnered with TotalEnergies, Shell, and ConocoPhillips, who collectively hold the remaining 25% interest.
The scope of the NFS EPC contract includes the construction of two LNG trains, gas treatment facilities, natural gas liquids recovery, helium extraction and refining, and associated infrastructure within Ras Laffan Industrial City.
The project emphasises sustainability, with plans to source a significant portion of its electrical power needs from renewable solar power generated by QatarEnergy's solar power facilities. Additionally, a 'jetty boil-off gas' recovery system will be implemented to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and water conservation measures will recover 75% of the plant's tertiary water.
The NFS project represents a substantial investment in Qatar's LNG industry and underscores QatarEnergy's commitment to sustainability and meeting global energy demand.