• Natural Gas News

    Petronas announces gas find off Malaysia

Summary

Thai state-run PTTEP operates Block SK417 with a 80% interest.

by: Shardul Sharma

Posted in:

Complimentary, NGW News Alert, Natural Gas & LNG News, Asia/Oceania, Security of Supply, Corporate, Exploration & Production, News By Country, Malaysia

Petronas announces gas find off Malaysia

State-run Petronas on November 30 announced a gas discovery from its Nangka-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417 offshore Malaysia.

The Nangka-1 well was drilled to a depth of 3,758 m in September 2021. “The sweet gas was discovered in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI clastic reservoirs, further validating the hydrocarbon potential in the surrounding areas,” the company said.

Thai state-run PTTEP operates Block SK417 with a 80% interest, while Petronas holds the remaining 20%. The block was awarded in March 2018 following the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.

In February this year, Petronas announced a new gas discovery in the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in the same block, in the Baram province.