• Natural Gas News

    Oz Advent Energy Mulls CCS in Sydney Basin


Advent holds 85% of PEP 11 in offshore Sydney Basin.

by: Shardul Sharma

Posted in:

Natural Gas & LNG News, Asia/Oceania, Premium, Carbon, News By Country, Australia

Oz Advent Energy Mulls CCS in Sydney Basin

Australian oil and gas explorer Advent Energy and its joint venture partner Bounty Oil and Gas plan to use their gas exploration drilling programme in the offshore Sydney basin to investigate the potential for carbon capture and storage (CCS) as a secondary objective, BPH Energy, a shareholder in Advent, said on September 8.

Sydney-listed BPH said the Baleen well programme at licence PEP11 offered potential environmental benefits in CCS for the greater Sydney/Newcastle area.

Independently published research has indicated at least 2 trillion ft3 of CO2 storage may be feasible in the Sydney Basin, the company said, adding that the area was a major contributor to Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions.

“The offshore Sydney basin offers a solution to the gas supply issues that have impacted the east coast gas market for the last five years with estimates of up to 5.7 trillion ft2 of prospective gas resources within structural targets in the offshore area,” BPH said. “This drill test will also investigate the potential future storage capacity for CO2 emissions capture.”

Advent is an unlisted oil and gas exploration and production company based in Perth, Western Australia. Advent, through wholly-owned subsidiary Asset Energy, holds 85% of PEP 11. Bounty holds the remaining 15%.