• Natural Gas News

    NextDecade Targets Zero CO2 at Rio Grande LNG


A final investment decision on the project has been delayed until 2021.

by: Joe Murphy

Posted in:

Natural Gas & LNG News, Americas, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), Top Stories, Premium, Carbon, Corporate, News By Country, United States

NextDecade Targets Zero CO2 at Rio Grande LNG

US LNG developer NextDecade aims to reduce CO2 emissions at its planned Rio Grande liquefaction terminal by 90% using carbon, capture and storage technology and other processes, it said on October 6. The company added it was exploring options to deal with the remaining 10%.

NextDecade had hoped to take a final investment decision on the 27mn metric ton/year Rio Grande project this year, but has delayed the move until 2021.

"Natural gas has a critical role to play in the global energy transition to a low-carbon economy, ensuring the security of energy supplies and preserving high quality jobs in the United States and around the world," NextDecade CEO Matt Schatzman said. "Our work to date confirms that reliable, competitively priced LNG and responsible environmental stewardship are not mutually exclusive. A solution that promises both is indeed eminently feasible with the thoughtful use of existing technologies and the application of our proprietary processes."