Neptune starts up 10th Cygnus gas well
Neptune Energy has launched production at the 10th well at the Cygnus gas field in the UK south North Sea, bringing overall output to a level capable of meeting the needs of around 2mn UK households, the company said on February 1.
Drilling was carried out by Borr Drilling's Prospector 1 jack-up rig, which Neptune noted was the first in Borr's fleet to be equipped with technologies that cut carbon and nitrogen emissions from operations by up to 95%, and particulate matter emissions by over 85%.
Cygnus has one of the lowest carbon intensities on the UK continental shelf, at only around 4 kg of CO2/barrel of oil equivalent, Neptune said, while also stressing the field's benefit to UK energy security.
Neptune has started drilling the 11th well at Cygnus, which it expects to bring into production in the second quarter of this year.
Neptune operates Cygnus with a 38.75% interest, while its partner Spirit Energy owns the remaining 61.25% stake.