• Natural Gas News

    IPC Launches Drilling Programme Offshore Malaysia


The first well on Block PM307 is underway.

by: Tim Gosling

Posted in:

Natural Gas & LNG News, Asia/Oceania, Corporate, Exploration & Production, News By Country, Malaysia

IPC Launches Drilling Programme Offshore Malaysia

International Petroleum Corporation announced June 25 that it has started a multi-well drilling programme offshore Malaysia.

The Stockholm-listed company said it has started drilling the first well on Block PM307, located offshore Peninsular Malaysia. IPC is the operator and holds a 75% working interest, with Petronas Carigali (E&P) holding the remaining 25%.

The PM307 drilling programme is planned to consist of two infill landing pilot wells in the southeastern and northeastern areas of the Bertam field, followed by the Keruing exploration well and three Bertam field infill wells. The first pilot well will test the upside potential in the northeastern A15 area, which could lead to an additional infill well being added to the 2019 programme in the success case.

The second pilot well will target the southeastern A14 area with the aim of confirming commercial quantities of hydrocarbons and to act as a landing pilot to de-risk development drilling. The Keruing exploration well will target a prospect in the I-35 reservoir, about 600 metres shallower than the Bertam field.

IPC CEO Mike Nicholson said: “I am very pleased to see the start of an exciting multi-well drilling programme in Malaysia which follows the two successful infill drilling campaigns in 2016 and 2018. These wells are targeting low cost, high value tiebacks to our Bertam field facilities, aimed at maximising the value of our Malaysian business for all stakeholders.”