• Natural Gas News

    Eni finds more Algerian gas

Summary

The third well in the Zemlet el Arbi campaign flowed back 1,300 b/d of oil and 2mn ft3/day of near-field associated gas.

by: Callum Cyrus

Posted in:

Complimentary, NGW Interview, Natural Gas & LNG News, Europe, News By Country, Italy

Eni finds more Algerian gas

Eni said July 25 it had made another oil and associated gas discovery in Algeria's Zemlet el Arbi concession, in partnership with national oil company Sonatrach.

The Rhourde Oulad Djemaa Ouest (RODW)-1 exploration well met hydrocarbons in the Triassic sandstones of the Tagi reservoir. During production testing, RODW-1 flowed at 1,300 barrels/day of oil and around 2mn ft3/day of associated gas.

Eni's HDLE-1 discovery well in Zemlet el Arbi struck oil and associated gas in March and was followed by a successful appraisal well, HDLS-1, aimed at confirming Tagi's presence in the adjacent Sif Fatima II concession.

Eni has 49% in Zemlet el Arbi through a joint venture with Algeria's Sonatrach, which owns the remaining 51%. The recent discoveries will be fast-tracked into production due to their proximity to Eni's existing infrastructure at Bir Rebaa North, some 15km away. The Italian major said previously it expects first gas in the final months of this year.

Eni said: "The RODW-1 discovery confirms the validity of Eni’s and Sonatrach’s successful near-field and infrastructure-led exploration strategy, that allows a rapid valorisation of the new resources."