• Natural Gas News

    Chariot Gets Resource Boost off Morocco


The Anchois find is now estimated to contain over 1 trillion ft3 of gas.

by: Joe Murphy

Posted in:

Natural Gas & LNG News, Africa

Chariot Gets Resource Boost off Morocco

London-listed Chariot Oil & Gas has reported a significant upgrade in its resource estimate for the Lixus offshore licence in Morocco, after reprocessing 3D seismic data from the site.

The reprocessing led to "significant improvements in both imagine quality and in depth control," Chariot said on September 7. Taking the new information into account, Netherland Sewell & Associates (NSA) has carried out a new independent assessment of a 50-km2 area of the block containing the Anchois gas discovery.

NSA now estimates that Anchois contains over 1 trillion ft3 of recoverable gas, representing a 148% increase on the previous assessment. This volumes comprises 361bn ft3 of 2C contingent and 690bn ft3 in 2U prospective resources.

Chariot has a 75% interest in the Lixus licence while the state-owned Office National des Hydrocarbures et des Mines controls the remaining 25%. Previously some 2,390 km2 of seismic data were collected at the site and four exploration wells drilled, resulting in the Anchois discovery. 

The previous CEO Larry Bottomley told NGW in the summer that it was in talks with potential buyers on either side of the Straits of Gibraltar for the gas.