Air Products, governments in major Canadian hydrogen project
Global hydrogen leader Air Products said June 9 it would work with the governments of Alberta and Canada to develop a multi-billion-dollar hydrogen energy complex near Edmonton, beginning with a “transformative” C$1.3bn (US$1.08bn) net-zero hydrogen production and liquefaction facility expected on-stream in 2024.
The project relies on an innovative combination of well-established technologies to jump-start an ambitious transition to carbon neutrality, Air Products said. It will take advantage of Canada’s abundant and low-cost natural resources, extensive infrastructure, highly-skilled workforce, and innovative spirit to be a model for other jurisdictions around the globe.
“By being a first mover and investing in this innovative landmark project, we are paving the way for hydrogen from Edmonton to meet industrial and transportation needs throughout western Canada,” Air Products CEO Seifi Ghasemi said. “Our highly integrated project will be a model for net-zero atmospheric gas, hydrogen and power production consistent with our announced growth platforms.”
The initial hydrogen production facility will deploy advanced auto-thermal reformer technology to deliver net-zero emissions, capturing 95% of the CO2from natural gas feedstock – about 3mn mt/yr – and sequestering it permanently underground. Hydrogen-fuelled electricity will offset the remaining 5% of emissions, utilising hydrogen compression and NovaLT16 turbines provided by Baker Hughes.
Hydrogen produced at the facility will be delivered through Air Products’ existing Heartland Hydrogen Pipeline to nearby refining and petrochemical customers, who will use it to help achieve their own carbon-reduction aspirations. Capacity of the pipeline can be readily expanded to deliver 1,500 metric tons/day of hydrogen.
The complex will also allow for the wider use of hydrogen in Alberta, enabling the production of liquid hydrogen as an emissions-free vehicle fuel in the transportation sector and to generate clean electricity.